Thursday 11 April 2013

J is for judy head






Unless you've attended cosmetology school, you're probably wondering what the hell a judy head is. Let me enlighten you...it's a mannequin head that hairdressing students learn to cut, style, colour and perm on, because the first time you ever put a pair of scissors to hair, you really prefer your first victim to be a lifeless head of plastic, as opposed to a live person that can shriek, cry and/or bleed.

Hello, I'm Judy and I will be your most hated companion for the next 10 months
She may look pretty innocuous but trust me when I say this bitch is the bane of every hairdressing student's existance. Her hair is utter crap to work with....it's real human hair, but it's it's often as coarse as horse hair and about as co-operative as a toddler after a 6 pack of Red Bull. This nest of evil wants to tangle, stick straight out and any attempts to wrap it in a perm rod or roller will test your patience to the point of wanting to punch her blank plastic face in. Brushing her out is a nightmare. Cutting her hair dulls the shit out of your scissors. We hate her. It's tradition as well as necessary.

As a hairdressing student 20+ years ago, I did my fair share of cursing Judy straight to hell and even  sometimes kicking her across the room like a hairy soccer ball. As a hairdressing instructor, I feel my students pain and sympathize with their frustraition with the JudyBitch. However, I do realize the benefit in practicing on a manniquin because as I repeat to my students over and over again "If you can do that on a manniquin head, dealing with a real person's hair is a piece of cake". I also remind them that at the end of their course, they can celebrate by running her over with their car, which trust me, is highly satisfactory

Judy Heads earn two out of five flaming middle fingers on the Hate-O-Meter...mostly because as much as I hate Judy, it's really kind of fun to torture my students with her

20 comments:

  1. You were right, I was wondering what a Judy Head was. For such harsh words to describe her, I was surprised to see only two fingers.

    Rhonda @Laugh-Quotes.com
    Visiting from AtoZ #41

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was still a hairdressing student, it would have gotten a solid 5. I gave it 2 because getting to torture my students with their Judy heads is all kinds of fun :D

      Delete
  2. And that's what life is all about, torturing others.
    My sister has one of those and it scares the hell out of me. Have you ever seen such evil eyes, as those in that expressionless face? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! It's like that blank plastic face wants to suck out your soul...creepy for sure

      Delete
  3. I can only imagine her hair sucks to work with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really terrible hair and wants to resist all efforts to tame it

      Delete
  4. I guess everyone has their own judy head? Do they carry them around with them?
    Katie atBankerchick Scratchings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, they all have 2...one for cutting that ends up medium length and one that stays long to practice long hair styling on. They leave them at school :)

      Delete
  5. Something about the name July Head doesn't sit well with me. Anyway, wanted to warn you that you may want to avoid my blog tomorrow. I'll be highlighting something you rated a 2 flaming middle fingers a while back. Or if you do get a chance to stop by, don't watch the video. (;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know now I HAVE to watch the video because you said I shouldn't lolol

      Delete
    2. I just watched it...at least their was no gonging lol

      Delete
  6. Ha ha judybitch, I like it!
    http://designsbyrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I didn't realize you were a hair stylist instructor. My step-mom is a hair stylist. I'll have to ask her about Judy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I work at a salon and teach at a cosmetology school too. I bet your step-mom has some good Judy head hatred stories too

      Delete
  8. I jave a weakness for mannequins!! Now I gotta have one!!

    Hugs!

    Valerie Nunez and the Flying Platypi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My ex hubs kept one of mine and used it in a comedy webskit he did...it ended with her getting run over with a car, which was all kinds of satisfying

      Delete
  9. "as co-operative as a toddler after a 6 pack of Red Bull." is an amazing visual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was about the scariest thing I could imagine lol

      Delete
  10. They're expensive as hell, too! I looked into getting one for my 7-yo, because she's all into playing with hair, and I couldn't stand being her dummy any longer. And I thought that with real hair, playing with it would be easier than those Barbie-type ones they sell at Toys-R-Us, which have nasty, straw-like hair. But once I saw the price...? Fuck that. My 7-yo could play with her brothers' hair.

    ReplyDelete